Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Paris

I can not wait to go to Europeeee!!!!!! I am leaving in exactly 3 weeks :) and so, I am doing my homework beforehand on where to go, what to see and all that!
Now, one of the places I know that we are definitely going is ..... PARIS! (of course)
So this post is dedicated to the wonderful city of loveeee & lights (and shopping)

Paris is divided into 'arrondissements,' or else known as 'districts' or 'neighbourhoods.' There are 20 in total, with 6 of them on the left bank and the rest on the right bank.
Now popular arrondissements include:
1. Ile de la Cite and Ile St. Louis- which is the 1st and 4th arrondissements
With famous landmarks like the Notre Dame Cathedral, this is the 'heart of paris'

2. Le Marias- 3rd and 4th arrondissements
This is the place to go to experience the "French past." With flea markets, vintage shops and high and low end fashion, it also has close ties to the Parisian Jewish community. I am definitely keen to spend time in this district- I already have lists and lists of streets and shops to visit!

3. Montparnasse- 14th arrondissements
Historically linked to great artists and thinkers like Hemingway, Simone de Beavoir, Jean- Paul Sartre and Modigliani, particularly during the period in between WW1 and WWII, this district is famous for its lack of pretension.

4. St Germain des Pres- 6th arrondissement
Apparantly you can do a lot of window shopping here (not my favourite thing in the world) but also lots of vintage shopping and antiques.  But with jazz clubs and bookstores and rows and rows of cafes, St Germain is not a place to come with a set agenda- it's an ideal place for flanerie- flitting around! sounds perfect

There are so many other great places, but I don't know how long we have in Paris ... so I'm going to cut the list short there! but to be honest, I don't really want to go to the Lourve, I'd rather see some random small, arty, bohemian one.. and I also don't want to spend to long at the Eiffel tower and all the major tourist attractions. Of course I'll go see them, but I'd rather walk around the small streets and get lost! I also really want to go on a walk in Paris at night- namely, midnight, just like Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris!!! And i want to eat great food, visit great museums, practice my terrible french, smell french smoke, catch the metro, go bargaining in flea markets, find a vintage chanel or ysl anything, visit couture boutiques, watch a french film in a small french cinema, and shop all day long!!!  Haha I sound like such a tourist ;)
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go?
Le Marais 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...